Sunday, April 5, 2009

The power to call things up

Just when I thought I got the hang of this blog thing, and media convergence was a phrase I could use in my everyday life, I began to read this week's readings. I really hope I wasn't the only one slipping off into side thoughts of utter confusion while reading the articles. If I was I hope at least get a few points for honesty. I can't say I get anything significant out of either article because I would be lying, but I can however, conjure up three key points and some questions to discuss.

Why the Digital Computer is Dead
by Chris Chesher argues that the term "digital computer" is in appropriate for modern times and is somewhat misleading. Chesher gives a good argument by breaking down the meaning of the phrase by word. Digital refers to discrete values and computer was a term originally used to define workers whose job it was to focus on tedious menial tasks like manual calculations.


The work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
written by Walter Benjamin in 1936 discusses the pitfalls of mass reproduction, its influence on society and its participation in war.

Why the Digital Computer is Dead - Key Ideas

- Invocation media can be viewed as the historical term for media convergence. Chesher states "Invocational media, by contrast with reductive rationalist digital computers, have pragmatic and material histories drawing together technology, language and magic." This statement highlights the concept of convergence by implicating history's involvement as well as addressing the convergent aspect of drawing together technology and language.

- Invocational media also speaks to the current idea of convergence as it can "translate all events into a constant cycle of reading, interpreting and acting upon instructions". When we consider the mapping models our groups created in class, all three groups had a cyclical scenario that defined convergence. Chesher further explains that invocational devices are the main platforms reading, writing, conversing, playing, etc. This points to media platforms such as the internet used for gaming, chatting, desktop publishing, etc.

- Software features give users greater power, while simultaneously distracting them from their original path. This cultural process is refered to as avocation, a minor form of vocation. Invocation, or the power to call things up, is comprised of smaller, multi-layered pre-formed, programmed avocations.

By far the most challenging concept of the readings was the article by Benjamin. I could not for the life of me detract something significant to say as a result of reading it. I understood the overall concept of mechanical reproduction diminishing the quality of work produced or received by the consumer, but I don't feel like I could apply the information readily in everyday life.

Discussion questions:

1. How do we apply the concepts in The work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction to media convergence?

2. How do we relate the same article to principles of leadership?

Since my paper focuses on the digital generational divide I may be able to apply some of the principles of Chesher's paper to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment